1. She once again went through her composition carefully to _____ all spelling mistakes from it.
A. withdraw B. abandon C. diminish D. eliminate
[注释]eliminate(=get rid of, do away with)消除，排除，淘汰：1) Can the government eliminate poverty?(政府能否消除贫困?) 2)eliminate slang words form an essay(从文章中去掉俚语词)。
2. When the little child caught sight of the young woman _____ in white he started brawling immediately.
A. dressed B. wearing C. worn D. putting on
[注释]be dressed in 穿这......衣服。Wear意为“穿着”是及物动词，语法结构上与本题不符。Put on穿上，强调的动作。
3. Some areas, _____ their severe weather conditions, are hardly populated.
A. due to B. but for C. in spite of D. with relation to
[答案]A. due to.
[注释]due to由于。有些语言专家认为due to引导的短语，在句中只能作表语，如：1)His absence was due to the storm. 2)The delay was due to heavy traffic. 3)This accident was due to his carelessness.但现代英语里due to引导的短语可以作状语用，如：He failed due to carelessness. Due to heavy traffic, he was late for an hour or so.
4. Many university courses are not really _____ to the needs of students or their future employers.
A. associated B. relative C. geared D. sufficient
[注释]be geared to与......相连接的，与......搭配得上的。Be relative to与......有关的：This is not relative to the accident.(这和这次事故无关。)本题意指courses(课程)是否与needs(需要)挂得上钩，而不是一般得有点关系，故应选geared.
5. If we can _____ our present difficulties, then everything should be all right.
A. get off B. come across C. come over D. get over
[答案]D. get over.
[注释]get over (difficulties)克服(困难)。
6. Be careful how you _____ that jug, it will break very easily.
A. pour B. operate C. handle D. employ
[注释]handle意为“用手拿......”:Wash your hands before you handle my books.
7. We suddenly saw the bus about to leave and had to run _____ to catch it.
A. hardly B. awkwardly C. hard D. strongly
8. He hated the war so much that he decided to leave the army _____.
A. for long B. once in a while
C. for good D. once upon a time
[答案] C. for good.
[注释] for good (=permanently)永久地:He says he's leaving the country
for good. for long 长久地。按本题题意，用 for long 不妥。once upon a time 从前。once in a while 偶尔。
9. This year the farmers were just able to gather in the _____ before the fine weather came to an end.
A. collection B. harvest C. flower D. plant
[答案] B. harvest.
[注释] gather in “收获(庄稼)”: The farmers are gathering in the corn.
10. A successful scientist needs _____ if he wants to make hypothesis (假设) of how processes work and how events take place.
A. permission B. penetration
C. imagination D. convention
[答案] C. imagination.
[注释] imagination 想象力;penetration 穿透;permission 允许; convention 惯例，常规。
11. Tell your brother to come _____, because it's going to rain in a minute or two.
A. indoors B. outdoors C. outward D. inwards
[答案] A. indoors
[注释] 按句子的逻辑意思应选indoors adv. 向屋里;在屋里，inwards adv，向
内，向中心，outward 向外。outdoors 是 indoors 的反义词。
12. I can't advise you what to do. You must use your own _____.
A. opinion B. guesswork C. justice D. judgment
[答案] D judgement
[注释] judgement 判断。guesswork 猜测，justice 正义，公正，ideal 理想。
13. Because of the poor harvest, wheat prices have _____ in the last six months.
A. added B. jumped C. amounted D. developed
[答案] B. jumped.
[注释] jump (=rise suddenly in price) 指“(价格)暴涨”。
14. There is a 20 minute parking _____ here, so we must get back to the car very quickly.
A. freedom B. limit C. allowance D. prohibition
[答案] B. limit.
[注释] parking limit 意为在停车场“停车的时间限制”。a 20 minutes parking limit (停车时间限制为20分钟).
15. The country needs a _____ government. We have had three Prime Ministers in a year.
A. stationary B. changeless C. constant D. stable
[答案] D. stable.
[注释] stable 稳定的。stationary 静止的，不变的，固定的。changeless 不变 的 ，无变化的。constant 经常不断的。
16. Having said he would mend the clock, he discovered that he had not brought the _____ tools for the job.
A. concise B. correct C. right D. precise
[答案] C. right.
[注释] right 适当的，恰当的:He is the right man to do the job。(他是干这 项工作的合适人选) concise 简明扼要的，correct 正确的;exact 确切的： exact time 确切的时间，exact age 确切的年龄，exact weight 确切的重量; exact weight 确切的重量;exact information 确切的信息;exact cause 确切的原因;exact meaning 确切的意思。
17. Radium salts, which have been found to _____ in bones, give rise to cancers of the bone.
A. pile up B. build up C. keep up D. pull up
[答案] B. build up.
[注释] build up(=accumulate) 积累。pile up 堆积。keep up 保持，维持。 pull up 停车。
18. It has been laid down that each student must _____ a composition to the teacher once a week.
A. turn in B. give up C. put forward D. bring out
[答案] A. turn in.
[注释] turn in(=hand in) 上交。
19. Our house is the most _____ one in the street; it is painted red.
A. permanent B. indifferent C. predominant D. prominent
[答案] D. prominent.
[注释] prominent 突出的;突起的。indifferent 漠不关心的;permanent 永久 的;predominant 占优势的，主要的。
20. I shall take you back to Beijing _____ you are well enough to travel.
A. presently B. promptly C. immediately D. shortly
[答案] C. immediately
[注释] immediately(=directly) 作连词用，意为“一……就……”，相当于 as soon as .
21. The writer was always looking for suitable _____ to use in his next story.
A. contents B. articles C. notions D. ideas
[答案] D. ideas.
[注释] idea(= thought; picture in mind)念头，思想，想法。
22. He gave me some very _____ advice on buying a house.
A. precious B. worthy C. precise D. valuable
[答案] D. valuable.
[注释] valuable 宝贵的，有价值的，常可修饰advice， suggestion， assistance， discovery等名词。 precious“贵重的”如: precious metals(贵金 属)，precious stone(宝石)。
23. You will get to the church more quickly if you take this _____ across the fields.
A. track B. passage C. method D. journey
[答案] A. track.
[注释] track(=path made by frequent use)意指“(常走而踏成的)小径”，如:a track across the moor(越过荒野的小径)。passage“通路”，如:force a passage through a crowd(在人群中挤出的一条通路). 可见此处选passage不妥.
24. A landing on Mars is within the _____ of current physical theory.
A. scheme B. scope C. scrap D. scale
[答案] B . scope.
[注释] scope 范围，活动范围，理解犯围: 1 Many words are outside the scope of this dictionary. (许多单词是超出了这本词典的范围.) 2 Very hard words are not within the scope of a child's understanding。(非常难懂的 词是超出了一个孩子的理解范围.) 3 Economics is beyond the scope of a child's mind.(经济学是孩子理解不了的.)
25. He was _____ by a bee when he was collecting the honey.
A. scratched B. pricked C. stung D. bitten
[答案] C. stung.
[注释] sting 刺，蛰，叮。在英语中蜜蜂蛰用 sting ;而蚊子“叮”用 bite， 如: A mosquito just bit me.(狗、蛇，咬)，钧用 bite ，scratch 搔，prick vt. 扎(穿)，刺(穿).
26. Don't go too far into the sea, children, or the waves will _____ you off your feet.
A. flow B. cut C. press D. sweep
[答案] D. sweep.
[注释] sweep sb，off sb's feet 由两层意思，直义为“(浪等)把某人冲倒”， 转义是“使产生强烈的好感，使完全信服”，如: His speech swept them off their feet。(他的演说使他们五体投地.)
27. The store had no more red shoes _____, so Mary chose brown ones instead.
A. in demand B. in store C. in need D. in stock
[答案] D. in stock.
[注释] in stock(=having sth. ready to sell or use;in present supply) 有 现货供应: The shop has suger in stock.(这个商店有白糖供应.) in demand(=needed;wanted;) 有需求: The book about dogs was much in demand in the library.(=Many people wanted to read the book about dogs that in the library.) in need(=in poverty，in trouble)在贫困中，在困难中: A friend in need is a friend indeed。(A friend who helps when one is in trouble is areal friend.) in store(=saved up in case of need; ready for use for some purpose) 储备待用:于If the electricity goes off，we have candles in the closet.(=We have candles put away if we need them for light.)(如果电灯灭了，我们壁橱里还备有蜡烛.)
[注意] in stock 强调商店备有现货以供出售，而 in store 则指储备物品以供急需使用。此外 in store 还可以表示“等待着，必将发生”。例如: I have a surprise in store for you.(我有一个你料想不到的消息要告诉你。)
28. Bill is not a fast runner and he doesn't have a chance of winning the marathon, but he will _____ the race even if he finishes last.
A. keep on B. keep to C. stick out D. stick to
[答案] C. stick out.
[注释] stick out(=keep on doing sth。until it is done，no matter how long，hard，or unpleasant) 坚持下去: Mathematics is hard，but if you stick it out you will understanding it(=Mathematics is hard，but if you keep on working hard at it you will learn it.) 此外，stick on 还可表示 (stand out) 突出: The skyscraper sticks out against the bkue sky.(这幢摩 天大楼映着蓝图显得格外突出.)
[注意] stick out与keep to 均有“坚持”的含义。stick out 特指“坚持下功夫 干一件事，不完成决不收兵”;而keep to 则强调“坚持、遵守、坚守”诺言、规则、原则、精神、岗位。可见，keep to 的英文释义为 ability by;adhere to，stick closely to。例如: keep to one's promise(遵守诺言);keep to the rules of a game(遵守比赛规则);keep to a principle(坚持原则);keep one's pos(坚守岗位)。因此，我们可以说keep to相当于 stick to，而区别于 stick out.
29. Can you _____ me _____ two hundred copies of this article by tomorrow.
A. give .. out B. send .. in
C. write .. off D. run .. off
[答案] D. run…off.
[注释] run off(=produce with a printing press or duplicating machine)印刷，复印：The print shop ran off a thousand copies of the newspaper.(=The print shop printed 1000 copies of the newspaper.)
write off报废，勾销。参阅Ⅲ.200.注释。give out分发，发出。send in 呈报，递交，送上: 1 Have you sent in your application?(你是否已递交了你的申请书?) 2 He sent in two oil paintings for the exhibition.(他送上两幅油画参展.)
30. The current political _____ of our country is favorable for foreign investments.
A. climate B. weather C. state D. occasion
[答案] A. climate.
[注释] climate 指某一地区的长期气侯，而weather则指某一天的“天气”。本题中
的climate(=the general temper or opinion of a group of the people or period of history) 指“某一团体历史时期的总的状况和民意”。例如: climate of the political unrest 不稳定的政治状况. state(=condition) 状态;be in a state of 处于某种状态. 例如: 1 The room was in a very dirty state. 2 She is in a state of confusion.(她处于慌乱状态.) 由上可见，climate 最合题意.
版权保护: 本文由 福建成考网提供，转载请保留链接: 《英语》成考专升本练习题及答案（12）【2020年】